Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Enjoying the holidays?

I have never been one to get depressed during the holiday season. Because of my mother's religious beliefs, we didn't celebrate holidays as children. When I grew up and started celebrating, I had to create my own traditions. I love the decorating and try to create that "warm" holiday feeling. I don't feel down until after the new year, when there are weeks and weeks of dreary winter left. But, that's another story.

This year, we have an unusual reason to be a bit worried and stressed. It's nothing like the horrible family deaths and job losses we suffered a few years ago, but it is putting a damper on the season. The dilemma is how to put the worries aside and enjoy each day.

I keep telling myself not to let someone else spoil my happiness. Why let her have that power over me? Why should her actions take my joy? In an effort to take back control, I am purposely, except for this writing, not thinking or talking about her or her actions. Is it working? Somewhat. It is difficult not to think about it. It is a  subject of conversation, so it's really hard not to talk about it! But, I do feel some of my holiday happiness returning. In the long run, dealing with this person is just a ripple in the sand.


No comments:

Post a Comment